My wife sells jewelry! Treat yourself to some bling!Treat yourself to some bling!
I am an Amazon.com Affiliate, and I warmly invite you to shop using my store!

Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
Join HBO Free Trial

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Mister Teacher and the Chocolate Factory

Tomorrow, Mrs. Educator and I plan on having our reward party for the kids that did their best on the TAKS test. Of course,we don't have scores back yet, and we weren't allowed to look at their answers during the test, so we don't know for SURE who did their best, and who faked it, but we could tell from who was actively engaged with the test the whole time, and who kept watching the door, watching the clock, watching the pencil sharpener. . .
Right before Christmas break, we started a viewing of the Johnny-Depp remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with the kids. Since they didn't finish watching it, the plan is to finish that one and watch the original version tomorrow. Personally, I liked the remake much better, as the first one freaked me out. Those Oompa-Loompas struck me as being psychedelic, homicidal lunatics out for children's blood, and perhaps their flesh as well! But in the remake, the OL Clan cracked me up. Good Oompa-Loompas are much better that their evil counterparts. It's like Stripe in Gremlins. Don't feed them after midnight, or they'll hunt you down and kill you. That's a good piece of advice that I follow with my students as well. Sometimes they remind me of Gremlins, but more often, they remind me of Oompa-Loompas. Except for the singing in harmony and not actually EATING the chocolate parts. . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I LOVED the original...but I think the current edition is so much better!! It follows the book extremely well. The movie ending was added to it, but I think that made the movie even better. In fact, Mr. Burton asked the widow of the book, if he could change it and she gave him permission. She even feels that it made the story better! The Oompa Loompa in the current edition is really good! IMO--Johnny Depp is a genius!

Mister Teacher said...

Well, crushes on Gene Wilder not withstanding, those original Oompa Loompas were FUUHHHH-REEEKS!!

kontan said...

oompa loompas were freaks. my kids are really more like lumps with a few gremlins thrown in...tomorrow is another day and it is another week...soon til break. enjoy!

Mister Teacher said...

Kontan, don't get them wet or feed them after midnight!
And yes, 2 more weeks till Spring Break! But even better, 2 more weeks till the NCAA basketball tourney starts!! I need to start getting my March Mathness brackets ready!!