My wife sells jewelry! Treat yourself to some bling!Treat yourself to some bling!
I am an Amazon.com Affiliate, and I warmly invite you to shop using my store!

Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
Join HBO Free Trial

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

A classic, revisited

I know that my brother will appreciate this one.
The very last activity that we did today during after-school tutoring was a writing exercise. I passed out some Spider-man valentine cards to the kids and told them to write a story based on the card's picture. Misspelling aside, it was entertaining to read some of the kids' stories and find that Spidey could fly, he can roundhouse kick people in the face ala Chuck Norris, and he likes to go around yelling, "I AM SPIDER-MAN!" Kind of makes me think of The Tick with his "I AM MIGHTY BLUE JUSTICE!"
But one little boy had written a story about Spidey fighting a handful of "badgiis." Badgiis (pronounced by the author "Bad Guys" -- pronounced by all others "Badgies") were a staple of my brother's elementary school writing period. All stories followed a specific formula. Goodgiis fight badgiis. Badgiis go to jail. End of story. Sometimes the setting changed (castle, big castle, red castle), but the story elements always remained the same.
And really, Hollywood has followed suit. Die Hard on a plane. Die Hard on a mountain. Die Hard on a boat. Die Hard on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.
This was the first time I've seen my student writing about badgiis. I won't make any comments like "Please stop writing the same story!" (actual note on my brother's 7th or 8th paper) unless he recycles the plot a few times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, yeah. It's in the genes. I had to give a book report on the civil war in 5th grade. There was maybe a paragraph of written material encompassed by a drawing of a battle of the blue and grey complete with a figure crouched next to a firing cannon. He had his fingers in his ears. That little touch got me an "A".