My wife sells jewelry! Treat yourself to some bling!Treat yourself to some bling!
I am an Amazon.com Affiliate, and I warmly invite you to shop using my store!

Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
Join HBO Free Trial

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Cheeseburger and a coke

Does anybody remember that old Sesame Street skit where a clueless Grover would be at a restaraunt, and the waiter would ask for his order, whereupon Grover would say, "I'll have a cheeseburger and a coke!"

When the waiter informed Grover that they didn't have any cheeseburgers, Grover would reply, "Well in that case, I'll have a cheeseburger and a pepsi!"

And so on, and so on.

I had a moment where I felt like the waiter today.

We were discussing the short /u/ sound, saying, repeating, and blending several words like cup, jump, run, bug.

I reminded the kids that once you know a word that has a short u sound, like bug, then you know most of the rhyming words also have a short u sound.

So I asked for words that rhyme with bug.

"Mud!"

"Run!"

"Jog!"

"January!"

Each time, I tried to stop and remind the class what RHYMING means. I told them I wasn't looking for just any word that has a u in it, even if it IS a short u sound. I wanted a word that RHYMED with bug.

Next kid -- "Astronaut?"

You know what has a short u? UUUUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!

And for those of you with a devious mind (like me), yes I have already forseen a few mishaps later this week with a certain word in the "truck" word family. Or maybe I'm ok since my kids won't be able to rhyme anything with truck.

On a completely different topic, whoever is reading this from Raleigh, NC -- I don't mean to sound like a stalker, but my stat counter shows me that you've been working your way backwards through all my blog posts. Sign my guest book, let me know who you are! :)

13 comments:

loonyhiker said...

This had me rolling and now you have inspired me to write my own post about a funny conversation! Thanks for sharing!

Angela Watson said...

Actually, 'truck' might be the word that finally gets them to think of a rhyme. You MUST try it and let us know!

LORI said...

AH, THE GOOD 'OL DAYS OF TEACHING "CONTINENTS AND BOWELS" TO THE YOUNG ONES! AT LEAST THAT'S WHAT THEY CALLED IT! LOVE THE BLOG!

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

An ear for rhyme seems to have gone the way of the dinosaurs in most children these days. Sad. So very sad.

Melissa B. said...

Winn-uh-bago! Winnebago?

Anonymous said...

MY BAD.

a⋅sym⋅met⋅ric
   /ˌeɪsəˈmɛtrɪk, ˌæsə-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ey-suh-me-trik, as-uh-] Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. not identical on both sides of a central line; unsymmetrical; lacking symmetry: Most faces are asymmetric.
2. (of a logical or mathematical relation) holding true of members of a class in one order but not in the opposite order, as in the relation “being an ancestor of.”
3. Chemistry.
a. having an unsymmetrical arrangement of atoms in a molecule.
b. noting a carbon atom bonded to four different atoms or groups.
c. (of a polymer) noting an atom or group that is within a polymer chain and is bonded to two different atoms or groups that are external to the chain.

Anonymous said...

Wait, are you in Raleigh?!?!?

Mister Teacher said...

Thanks, everyone!
Meg, I'm not in Raleigh. A reader is.

Allison said...

Reminds me of the stories my mom tells me about her first graders...it's amazing how little they know when they are 7. :)

Priest said...

That was hysterically funny!! I subbed for 2nd Grade Teacher a while back and The Rhyming Game with sight words was a featured event according to the lesson plan they left for me.

I laughed so hard that tears ran down my cheeks and my face muscles ached. Uh, no rhyming took place, but man what a incredible variations on a theme session that was.

Vanessa Rogers said...

You gotta love kids and how they will just give answers that make absolutely no sense. I love when you tell them you are going to ask a question but before the question has even been started they have their hand up. I guess we should appreciate their participation.

Priest said...

Vanessa Rogers said... You gotta love kids and how they will just give answers that make absolutely no sense.

*Epiphany* Our Senators and House Representatives are ACTUALLY Children. The whole Congress thing is an illusion as it is really just an overly ornate Day Care Center. Finally, it makes sense.

Aaeiz said...

Links of london jewelry store provide you floweriness and quality links of London jewelry at a affordable price. Partnering with esteemed distributors and trading facilitators across the world, the company can meet the needs of all national and international customers.