My wife sells jewelry! Treat yourself to some bling!Treat yourself to some bling!
I am an Amazon.com Affiliate, and I warmly invite you to shop using my store!

Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
Join HBO Free Trial

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

If teachers were like... NBA stars

And now for something completely different…

Today, I thought I’d take a look at another profession and compare it to the one that I'm in currently. So many occupations out there to choose from, but I figured I'd start with something really glamorous, like a professional basketball player. So, in no particular order, here are a few observations of what I believe life would be like if teachers were treated like NBA stars.

1) Lets start with the obvious, the one difference so huge, everyone would automatically start there -- if teachers were like NBA stars, we would get to wear shorts and tank tops on the job all the time!!

2) If teaching was like playing in the NBA, then I could hurt my hand on the very first day of school, stay at home injured for the rest of the school year, and still collect my entire yearly salary.

3) If we ever tried to place our hands around our principal's neck and choke him or her, then we would most likely be traded to another school with a higher salary, and the principal would be fired. (The Latrell Spreewell Corollary)

4) If we slipped and fell down on the job, someone would immediately rush out to wipe up our sweat, instead of just pointing and laughing.

5) Just like with the basketball equipment controversy (leather vs. synthetic), we would be subject to random and seemingly whimsical changes to equipment and materials from year to year, and these changes would be made and approved by our supervisors, with absolutely no consultation for our own opinions. Wait, that pretty much already happens with teachers.


Feel free to add your own!

10 comments:

Mrs. T said...

Um... we'd all have to dress alike?

Airam said...

I have nothing to add but this reminded me of a cartoon (I think it was far-side) where NBA basketball players were playing on an outside court in a park and a limo with a teacher drives by. The NBA player then says something along the lines of, "oh look there's another teacher with their million dollar salary passing by."

The fact that this cartoon was implying that our job should be worth millions as opposed to the jobs of someone who needs to put a ball through a netted bucket just made my day.

Anonymous said...

I suggest we all wear scrubs...so comfy

Love the list

Arctic Fox said...

I think if we were treated like NBA stars we could get away with trash-talking the other team - namely the students!

Mister Teacher said...

Mrs T and Arctic Fox...
Don't we already do these things?? ;)

Ed U. Cater said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mister Teacher said...

Your groupies are fourth-graders, sir!!!

Ed U. Cater said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mister Teacher said...

I only get panties in my e-mail

Mike in Texas said...

Dang, I've always wanted my very own groupies.

You know, you teach a great lesson, then step out into the hallway where there's an adoring crowd of females throwing their panties at you and asking you to autograph various body parts.