My wife sells jewelry! Treat yourself to some bling!Treat yourself to some bling!
I am an Amazon.com Affiliate, and I warmly invite you to shop using my store!

Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
Join HBO Free Trial

Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Pop-in

I had a fantastic surprise visitor today. One of my favorite students from my very first year of teaching (actually, one of my all-time favorites) stopped by my classroom around 2:00 today. She's in the seventh grade (she skipped a grade) in a nearby district, and they don't go back to school until next week.

I was right in the middle of working a word problem with the kids when she came in, so I told the kids that we had a guest teacher, and I let her take over for me. My kids from this year seemed absolutely flabbergasted that standing before them was an actual, real life example of someone who had been in my class years ago. They were practically falling over themselves trying to get her to call on them as she went through the steps of the problem.

And then when she was done, she informed me, "I don't really like math."

D'OH!!!

Nevertheless, it was really cool to see her again and to know that she's doing well. Makes me think there's hope for some of these kids after all.

5 comments:

HappyChyck said...

When I taught high school in a tiny town, my former students would always pop by when they were home from college or military leave. As often as I could, I would prod them to talk to the class (usually fresh/soph) a little about life after high school.

Would you believe their messages to the students would usually be the same stuff I nagged them about all the time like about studying hard, college will kick your butt if you don't pay attention in high school, being a teenager is much easier than being in the military...

Okay, that was a perk for sure, but seeing that my former students turned out okay after all really made my day. The best intrinsic rewards come from what the students say AFTER they've left you.

Mrs. T said...

Awwww. I love it when the lil' buggers come back.

Anonymous said...

M----- was one of my favorites too. Ms S----- informed me after school that she had come to visit. I remember when she first arrived from Bosnia with hardly a word of English. What a beautiful soul. I'm a little disappointed I did not see her. Next time, like there will be a next time, send her over to visit me.

I also tried to get a unnamed former fourth grade chairperson to move her up to her rightful grade since she had acquired the language that held her back and had gone on to surpass nearly everyone in her grade in ability, character and maturity. Nothing was done...they needed her test scores. Good to see someone made the "sacrifice" for the best interest of another blessed human.

J

Mister Teacher said...

Yeah, it was really nice. And she wasn't visiting just to visit for bail money, or protection, just a nice chat. :)

And J, what the heck are you doing up at 6 in the morning on a Saturday?????

Anonymous said...

And J, what the heck are you doing up at 6 in the morning on a Saturday?????


These are my hours. 5:15 pretty much everyday, with or without an "alarm" clock. On weekends when I may stay up late I can make up my loss of beauty sleep with a short two hour nap.