My wife sells jewelry! Treat yourself to some bling!Treat yourself to some bling!
I am an Amazon.com Affiliate, and I warmly invite you to shop using my store!

Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
Join HBO Free Trial

Thursday, August 16, 2007

They like it! They REALLY like it!!

Thanks to everyone who has posted a bit of information on my "Sound Off" blog. If you don't know what I'm talking about, scroll down one entry and leave a message!

A few days ago, I posted an idea about Place Ball. I posted that idea on a Texas teachers chat board, and today I got some feedback from someone who gave it a try at her school! Here's her testimony as to how the activity went:

We got to try it for about 10 minutes. We went outside to the sidewalk. We used sidewalk chalk and wrote a place value in each of 5 squares. We didn't do 100,000 place. Then I had the students run by each section and say the place value. They loved it. They ran around in circles about 5 times. I got dizzy watching so we moved on. I put a child in each place value, told them their secret number, then they yelled out their secret number. We started with the ones and worked our way up building the value one place at a time. For example:
ones: "I am 5".
tens: "I am 30"
ones: "5"
hundreds: "I am 400"
tens: "30"
ones "5"
thousands: "I am 6,000"
hundreds: "I am 400"
tens: "30"
ones "5"
ten thousands: "I am 90"
thousands: "I am 6,000"
hundreds: "I am 400"
tens: "30"
ones "5"
The other students said the numbers with them.
Then I put five other students in, threw the ball to them. Gave them a number and they had to say it with the proper place value for where they were.
I couldn't remember your directions exactly, but this is basically what I remember. We will play it again next week, we would do it tomorrow, but it will probably be raining since we are on tropical storm alert.
The students loved it.
Definitely a do.

Much thanks to kd in TX!!

No comments: