My wife sells jewelry! Treat yourself to some bling!Treat yourself to some bling!
I am an Amazon.com Affiliate, and I warmly invite you to shop using my store!

Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
Join HBO Free Trial

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

I'm running away to join the Carnival...

The 72nd Carnival of Education is up and running over at Why Homeschool, even as we speak (or type, as the case may be). This is Learn Me Good's first foray into the carnival atmosphere, and I am hoping that the overpowering aroma of cotton candy, sawdust, and vomit will not be too disruptive.
I am making my debut as part of the freak show, I believe. Sort of a "Jo Jo The Dog Faced Boy meets Chinchilla Man of the Grotesquely Long Fingernails." I share an act with the bearded yak lady. She's ugly as sin, but she's a great cook. (And yes, that last line IS from a movie -- do you recognize it?)
If you need some interesting reading material, or subject for debate, head on over to the Carnival. Just take it easy on the deep-fried Twinkies...

3 comments:

Mrs. T said...

Oh, how I struggle with the whole home-school situation. I've seen the test scores.(generally, extremely high) I've seen well-adjusted, socially-ept kids who were home-schooled. I've met people I really really like who home school.
And yet, there is this part of me that recoils when I hear those words. I think it's because when I decided to become a teacher, I had to APPLY to the College of Education. I had to take a competency test. I had to have many hours of supervised "field experience". I had to apply for and obtain a 2 year provisional teaching license. Then, I obtained my 5 year professional license which I must maintain by taking 6 hours of college credit and renew every 5 years. All the while, I am also constantly "inserviced" on all kinds of teaching strategies to help kids learn. This is so I can teach the children in the state of Iowa. Also, in order to work in my school district, I had to get a criminal records check- which is a good thing.
Now, what if I wanted to homeschool in the state of Iowa? I just go to the administration building in my district and fill out some paperwork.Once the kids get to a certain age, I think they have to take ITBS and parents have to be able to verify that they are following some kind of curriculum. I can be mentally challenged, a psychopath, a blithering idiot, and I can legally homeschool my kids. But, if my teaching license is expired, I will be removed from my classroom. I will not pass go, I will not collect $200. (although, I might actually get paid, thank you NEA.)
So, on the homeschooling thing? It's kind of a slap in my face as a professional. Intellectually, I know it's not meant to be and people choose to homeschool their kids for all kinds of very valid reasons, but I still struggle with it.

Anonymous said...

Off topic, but thought I'd leave this addy for the teachers who stop by.

Free Stuff for Educators
http://www.kalama.com/~zimba/freeforteachers.htm

(Oh and Mister/aka Side Show Bob, I won't be held responsible for the website, even if it doesn't peak your WookieE scale.)

Mister Teacher said...

Mrs. T, what can I say, except that for me, the continued financial success of Tom Green is a slap in the face.

Spanky, where have you ever seen me go by the name Sideshow Bob? And don't worry, I won't hold you responsible. And hopefully you won't hold that wookiee bit against me too long...