My wife sells jewelry! Treat yourself to some bling!Treat yourself to some bling!
I am an Amazon.com Affiliate, and I warmly invite you to shop using my store!

Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
Join HBO Free Trial

Monday, December 08, 2008

I hate it when that happens

Hey, I'm just brainstorming here, but I've come up with a list of things that you should try really really hard never to poke yourself in the eye with:
A pencil
Your elbow
A GI Joe action figure
A Slurpee straw
A lit cigarette
The top of a Christmas tree






Oh, and here's one... You know those pieces of wire that hold spiral notebooks together? You know how they can sometimes be manipulated by kids so that about 3 inches of the wire is protruding out the bottom hole of the spiral notebook? You know how you always tell the kids to be careful when that happens, and you usually loop it under another spiral or cut it off?

Well, I got a text from my girlfriend today that a kid at her school had gotten the wire from a spiral notebook stuck in his eye, and that the notebook was still attached!


I had visions of this wire going directly from the notebook to the center of some kids' pupil in the middle of his eyeball. YUCK!!


Later, she said that the wire had gotten stuck in the skin BELOW the eyeball, which is not quite as bad, but still pretty disgusting.


I'm still very curious as to how exactly something like this could happen. If the kid stooped over, peering into his desk, looking for the spiral, and it suddenly came to life and jumped out at him, protecting itself with the end of its spiral wire, then ok, I could see that. But otherwise, I got nothin.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me tell you, I've seen those wires, and they aren't pretty. Some kids work long and hard to lure those wires out of their natural habitats. It wouldn't take much to launch one into an eyeball. And don't get me started about the time a compass point found itself embedded in a student's hand. The very idea!

Almost American said...

Oooh - OW!

BTW, did you hear about the math teacher who's selling ad space on his tests?