My wife sells jewelry! Treat yourself to some bling!Treat yourself to some bling!
I am an Amazon.com Affiliate, and I warmly invite you to shop using my store!

Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
Join HBO Free Trial

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Future roadkill

Anonymous Joe and I have really gotten the morning unloading procedure down to a science. Which is a good thing, because ever since the Classroom Breakfast Club began, we've got more cars arriving at once. But we are very efficient, we get them lined up by the curb pretty quickly and moved on so the next wave of cars can drop the kids off. We still have a few people who try to line jump, but we've done a pretty good job of stopping them when we can and getting everybody in and out in a timely fashion.

Recently, though, we've encountered one lady with a serious attitude problem. Early last week, there was a car parked directly in front of the school, right underneath the sign that says clearly, "No Parking." Besides being illegal, this car was making the whole drop-off process VERY difficult.

So I went back inside and asked the lady in the office to make an announcement over the loudspeaker, asking this person to move their car. A few minutes later, this lady comes plodding outside, totally ignores AJ when he asks her not to park there anymore and points out the sign, and moves her car over to the other side of the street.

Being the gentleman that I am (snicker), I walked across the street, ready to hold up the stop sign and allow her to cross back over. She had parked about 15 feet away from the crossing area, and she was just standing by her car (in the street, of course), waiting for the traffic to go past. When I called out to her and told her that she should come down to where I was so I could get her across safely, she just stared at me like I was some weird alien fungus. And then she proceeded to walk across the street from the spot where she was.

Idiot.

This morning, she and her daughter must have crossed the street when we weren't looking, because the first time I saw her was when she was trying to cross back over to her car on the other side. She had walked out of the school, straight down the path to the sidewalk, made a 90° turn, and then walked down about 15 feet so she was even with her car. Again, she was standing there, waiting for the heavy traffic to pass her by.

Foolishly, I again tried to use reason with her. I said, "Ma'am, it's safer if you cross down here, where we can get you across."

She replied by yelling, "I'll cross where I want to cross!"

Boy, she sure showed me!

To be honest, I really don't care about her. If a car hits her, I have a feeling the car is going to sustain more damage than she will. I'm more concerned about her poor daughter, who has no choice but to cross the street where her mother dictates. Hopefully nothing bad will happen to her just because of a parent with pride issues.

4 comments:

IMC Guy said...

You certainly know by now that some of the problems we encounter or more with the parents than the students. Have you talked to the principal to have him (or her) discuss the issue. I doubt it will help, though.

Perhaps you should just keeping asking her very politely each day she does it. Maybe you'll annoy the heck out of her and she'll start crossing the street where she should.

Anonymous said...

Yep, it happened exactly as stated. There a lots of stories in that INTENSE 20 minutes of Peak Drop-off.

One guy acts like he wants to fight me when I tell him he can't park next to the "NO PARKING" sign. I get busy and he reparks next to the next "NO PARKING" sign. Then asks, "how's that?" I don't answer. I'm too busy.

AJ

Anonymous said...

She used the crosswalk today...coming and going!

Ta-ra-ra Boom de ay.

AJ

Anonymous said...

Mr. Teacher,

I share your pain. I used to help at the end of the school to direct traffic and help parents to get their kids. Unfortunately, there is always that group of parents that ignore no parking signs and the rest of the world. I remember once, one women left her car in the middle of the street and walked to pick her kid. Some other usual things is when parents park their car on a second row and block the entire traffic. When you told them nicely to please move their car. They curse like sailors.
I wonder why Dallas ISD police or Dallas Police never helps around in the morning or at the end of the day.