My wife sells jewelry! Treat yourself to some bling!Treat yourself to some bling!
I am an Amazon.com Affiliate, and I warmly invite you to shop using my store!

Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
Join HBO Free Trial

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

One Shining Moment

Congratulations to the University of Florida for winning the national basketball championship and becoming the most recent team to repeat as back-to-back champions. But I'm not talking about THAT shining moment.

I'm talking about the Stephen King novel, The Shining. As in, I feel like chopping a hole in my classroom door with an axe and yelling, "HEEEEERRRRRRE’S JOHNNY!!!”

Today I administered the fifth-grade math TAKS. The eight kids that were in my classroom were very well behaved, and seemed to take the test seriously.

Meanwhile, my out-of-control third-graders continued to be out-of-control. Remember Forced Tears Girl from yesterday? This is a girl whom Mrs. Educator and I could write discipline referrals on any day we chose, but we usually let things slide. Yeah, her.

BOTH the fifth-grade teachers replacing Mrs. Educator and me wrote her up today. It's really saying something to have someone who has just met you be so upset at you. But somehow this girl manages. Just last week, she ticked off the visiting audiologist who was giving my class hearing checks. Apparently, A in my class was not raising her hand whenever she heard the beep. Things did not correlate the way they should. And the lady got very upset.

And she doesn't even have to deal with this girl every day!!

At least I know it's not just kids from my class. Two of the other third-grade teachers told me that they suspended two of THEIR kids today as well.

So over the course of a week, 4 third-graders have been suspended, with less than 10 school days left until our math TAKS.

What the HELL is going on here???

6 comments:

Mike in Texas said...

It's the society we live in. We have increasingly immature parents raising increasingly immature children and not instilling them with any sense of self-control.

I'm always amazed at how much kids have changed in the last 4 years. 4 years ago I would do activities in lab and sweat the fact it may not last long enough to take up the full hour. Now the same activities can't be completed in that time. Given any activity that involves more than 2 or 3 simple directions kids will immediately throw the hands up in the air and exclaim "I can't do it" without so much as even trying.

Anonymous said...

Crazy kids. And boo to Florida.

Kayla said...

It's the moon and all that lunar activity is true: it really does affect us! Watch out for the werewolves Mister Teacher!

Mrs. T said...

I am with kayla- you did see that it was a full moon, didn't you?

100 Farmers said...

We went into Lockdown for the last two hours of school yesterday because of fighting concerns. One more week until TAKS and LAT and my belfrey is going to be full of bats.

IMC Guy said...

Full moons are soon going to be replaced with another crazy time - test time! Students can sense when they're coming, we know when they're coming and it's only going to get worse in the coming years! But then again, maybe the kids just have spring fever.