My wife sells jewelry! Treat yourself to some bling!Treat yourself to some bling!
I am an Amazon.com Affiliate, and I warmly invite you to shop using my store!

Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
Join HBO Free Trial

Monday, May 01, 2006

Uno de Mayo

Monday, Monday -- can't trust that day. Not like Saturday; I would trust Saturday with my life and my firstborn child. And Wednesday? Don't even get me started on THAT son of a beeyotch.
Several weeks ago, after a tremendous march on downtown Dallas, one of my little Hispanic girls told me that on May 1, "the schools will be empty." Unfortunately, this did not prove to be the case today. The little girl who made that prophecy was absent today, as were four kids in my class, and there was a spattering of absences around the school, but for the most part, it was just a normal school day.
Granted, I live in a tiny little microcosm, and worldwide events often transpire without me even knowing. So did anyone out there notice a bigger difference today? Were certain people conspicuously absent from work, from restaurants, from life? I'm not really even sure if this is just a Texas thing, or if it was a Hispanic movement across the nation. (I'm a big enough man to acknowledge my total ignorance on certain matters.)
Please let me know what you observed today, if anything. Anyway, you know how much I hate seeing that "0 comments" underneath a post.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about it, but a Tulsa, Oklahoma school appeared on the local news saying that so many students were missing they were concerned (for the school) about Bush's "No Child Left Behind" and are offering rewards to kids who don't miss another day of school this year. Maybe it'll make more sense to you as I am not a teacher.

HappyChyck said...

I noticed that the traffic didn't seem as heavy.

In my classes, I only had 5-7 students absent in each class. I teach in a magnet program that is housed within an inner city school, which is about85% Hispanic. Teachers who don't teach within the program had at least half of their classes absent. It was pretty mellow on campus.

What I have to say to the students when they come back: "Good for you for standing up for what you believe in. We did go on without you, though."

I'm still anxious to hear what the media has to say about the impact of the day overall. The level organization and peaceful protests have amazed me.

Anonymous said...

I teach in an elementary school with a normal population of about 500. We had 90 kiddos missing. I had only 10 kids left in my room...I'm in MO.