My wife sells jewelry! Treat yourself to some bling!Treat yourself to some bling!
I am an Amazon.com Affiliate, and I warmly invite you to shop using my store!

Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
Join HBO Free Trial

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Janie's got a gun

Happy Tuesday everybody! Or, as we refer to it at my school, Happy Nacho Day!
I saw an interesting report in the news today. Just serves to remind me that no matter how crazy things may get at my school, things are just as bizarre elsewhere. Check this out:


Mom Gets Probation For Showing Gun To School Official

FORT WORTH, Texas -- A woman has been sentenced to two years' probation for displaying a handgun during a meeting with her son's assistant principal.
Mary E. Cozad, 56, was also ordered to pay a $200 fine after she pleaded guilty Monday to a charge of unlawfully carrying a weapon.
State District Judge George Gallagher sentenced her to probation with deferred adjudication, which means the charge will be dropped from her criminal record if she completes the terms of probation, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported in its online edition Tuesday.
Cozad was in Assistant Principal Martha Beseau Bock's office Oct. 11 at Park Glen Elementary School in Fort Worth to discuss her son's one-day suspension for a fight on a school bus, according to Fort Worth police reports. Park Glen is in the Keller Independent School District.
After the door was closed, Cozad took a handgun and holster from her purse and placed it on a shelf near the assistant principal, according to reports.
No shots were fired, and Cozad left the office with the gun, police said.
Shortly after the incident, the Fort Worth mother was banned from Keller district campuses, a school official said.
Cozad could not be reached for comment Tuesday.


Now, I don't know about you, but my first thought was how different people's impression might be if the single word "Mom" in the article title was replaced with "Man." "Showing Gun" may have put a slightly different image in people's minds...

I find it very interesting that this woman went into her son's school to meet with the assistant principal, and she just takes out the gun and places it within site nearby. Is this equivalent to the Old West practice of slowly pulling open one' s duster to reveal a revolver tucked inside the belt?
Some of my good friends have kids in the Keller school district, and others teach in Fort Worth. All I can say is, you have my sympathies...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

KauaiMark said...

Only in Texas...