My wife sells jewelry! Treat yourself to some bling!Treat yourself to some bling!
I am an Amazon.com Affiliate, and I warmly invite you to shop using my store!

Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
Join HBO Free Trial

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Reason 7 to learn how to spell

Last night, one of my friends called and said he had an extra ticket to see the Cowboys-Ravens game. Since I hadn't seen my friends in a while, AND since I hadn't been to a Cowboys game in forever, AND since this was the very last Cowboys game ever to be played in Texas Stadium, I jumped at the chance to go.

I had a great time with my friends, we froze our butts off (high 30s outside), and the Cowboys let everyone down by losing miserably to the Ravens. But the real fun began afterwards.

We left a little early to avoid the rush, and we stopped at a restaraunt to get a bite to eat. We decided to sit in the bar area so we could see what was going on in the sporting world while we ate and talked.

Since it was the last game at Texas Stadium, there was a long ceremony going on after the game, with lots and lots of old Cowboys players and coaches and a lot of nostalgia. Well, the bar had close captioning turned on, and whoever was running the teletype machine was either drunk or Indian.

When the announcer talked about the great Mohammed Ali, it came up on the screen as "Mohammed Alley." The legendary coach Tom Landry was typed as "Tom Lan Dri." Emmitt Smith became "Em Met."

Some of the funniest were "Deks Ter Copely," "Jay Noef Chek," and "Rockyish Mel." (Dexter Coakley, Jay Novecek, and Rocket Ismail)

But the funniest of all was when the announcer started talking about the Cowboy's rusher of the 90s, Tony Dorsett, and he came up on the screen as "Tony Doorstep."

The Cowboys may have lost the game, but the evening sure had its entertainment.

3 comments:

goooooood girl said...

i like your blog......

Unknown said...

Hate to spoil it for you, but most close captioning is no longer done by a live person, but with voice recognition software. Unfortunately proper names are generally not recognized.

Almost American said...

Katie beat me to it - computers are notoriously bad at spelling - even worse than people!