My wife sells jewelry! Treat yourself to some bling!Treat yourself to some bling!
I am an Amazon.com Affiliate, and I warmly invite you to shop using my store!

Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
Join HBO Free Trial

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Cell phones and downpours

This week's Mr. Teacher column on education.com is all about the issues of cell phones in school. Thankfully, I don't have to deal with that too much, at least not as much as many high school and middle school teachers do. I still just can't get over the images from those videos in Dangerously Irrelevant's entry to last week's Carnival of Education.

It rained all day long today. And by rain, I mean unleashed a monsoon. Ironically, it was hot and stuffy in my classroom because the air-conditioning is not working. It was the same way yesterday. I had my windows open for a little bit, but when the windowsill started getting wet, I had to close them most of the way.

One of the other teachers who goes home via the same route that I do came in at the end of the day and told me that a nearby road on our route was flooded. So we spent about 10 minutes online trying to map out an alternate route. That task took us right past White Rock Lake, and it was a little bit scary to drive past it because it looked like it was about an inch and a half away from overflowing and flooding the road we were on. Which may very well have happened by now, since we were driving through a deluge as we passed by.

Closer to my house, there are some soccer fields and a tiny little park area on either side of the road. These areas are now under about 10 feet of water.

If it doesn't stop raining soon, I might have to rent a Skidoo to get to school tomorrow!!

I also wanted to say that since hosting last week's Carnival, I've seen a bump in traffic, and it's awesome. If you haven't already done so, I invite you all to subscribe to the Learn Me Good feed either by e-mail here, or by RSS here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have had a lot of rain too. I'm thinking of building a boat since I don't know how to swim. I watch the kids checking their messages as they walk out of my grandson's school. I'm sure a lot of them have the phones hidden and only use them outside of school. Thanks for all of the funny stories.

Joel said...

Haha, yeah! Betty, the thought of kids having phones hidden and only using them outside of school is a pleasant thought. Unfortunately, it just doesn't happen.

I have friends who tell me that they texted their child at school and told them some news. And the child responded with whatever response. And these are the good kids!

They all do it. It's a matter of knowing to watch for it.

I've been hearing about the rain that you've been getting up in DFW. I am planning on driving that way to visit my parents today. We'll see what happens with that...

Donalbain said...

Cell phones! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

I hate them, hate them, hate them.
I keep pestering the higher ups to institute a policy that if a phone comes out in a lesson it is ours until a parent comes to claim it. But I am not being listened to.

Have I mentioned that I hate them