My wife sells jewelry! Treat yourself to some bling!Treat yourself to some bling!
I am an Amazon.com Affiliate, and I warmly invite you to shop using my store!

Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
Join HBO Free Trial

Sunday, April 10, 2011

test scores vs teaching

My good friend and colleague has another editorial column up on the Dallas Morning News website, and it's an excellent read. He asks why the public insists on equating test scores to teachers' abilities.

His argument is a very valid one, and I don't think I feel that way JUST because I'm in the same boat as him. Recently, Edna Lee of Regurgitated Alphabits posted a link to a Miami Herald story about the Florida governor signing a bill to officially make students' test scores count for HALF of a teacher's yearly evaluation!!

Maybe I'm off on my math a little, but if we can assume that kids are in school for around 185 days out of the year and take 2 standardized tests, then 0.011% of each child's school year will account for 50% of a teacher's evaluation.

Nice job, Florida. Just don't let Texas see what you've started.

1 comment:

Melissa B. said...

We're debating this same issue in the DC area. I don't understand myself how my students' abilities to pass a pencil and paper test reflect on my abilities, at all. Blame Bush and No Child Left Behind, please.