My wife sells jewelry! Treat yourself to some bling!Treat yourself to some bling!
I am an Amazon.com Affiliate, and I warmly invite you to shop using my store!

Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
Join HBO Free Trial

Monday, April 17, 2006

T-minus 1. Or is that T-TIMES 1?!?

Well, today was the last review day before the dreaded TAKS Math Test. Really and truly, if the kids don't know it by now, they're just plain not going to know it tomorrow. As one of my old college engineering professors used to say, "Time to let go of your hand and see if you walk out in front of a truck." Ironically, this same professor was himself severely injured when a truck fell on top of him during a Force and Load demonstration gone horribly wrong.
Typically, the kids will bring their A-game to the table on test day, and quite often kids who don't seem to know their head from a hole in the ground will do well. I just have a sinking suspicion that several kids in my group this year would have to undergo some sort of "Flowers for Algernon" process in order to pull off that sort of miracle. Hey, I suppose that if I am proven wrong, and my kids DO pass, my next novel should be titled "Flowers for Fooquan." (And yes, that name was blatantly ripped off from last week's episode of Scrubs.)
If you are a religious person out there, please say a silent prayer tonight for my kids, and their own personal medulla oblongatas. Because I just can't seem to get rid of this disturbing image in my head of the opening scene from Saving Private Ryan...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sending all good thoughts your way for testing. A hint to keep your blood pressure sub-stroke range, resist the urge to peek over shoulders and check on answers. You've done your work well and now they must do theirs. I finally learned that lesson because I found that my very talented math students who were overconfident skimmed rather than read, didn't check their work, and often were bested by my little plodders. x-4=8 No, it's not 4!

SupComTabz said...

I'm not usually one to do this, but can you please check my blog (The Blinking Cursor) for a special message about the Hope Hotline (a sucide hotline). Any help you can offer and/or help spreading the word would be greatly appreciated.

Mister Teacher said...

You're right, Oldteach, that can cause you to scream your inside mental voice hoarse. But now we're not even allowed to do that, so there ya go...