My wife sells jewelry! Treat yourself to some bling!Treat yourself to some bling!
I am an Amazon.com Affiliate, and I warmly invite you to shop using my store!

Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
Join HBO Free Trial

Monday, January 09, 2012

Parts is parts

I had a really good day today, with both classes. I showed them how to use the "Part-Part-Whole" strategy to write fractions. The kids caught on really quickly, and most of them really took to it as something that they might use on a regular basis now. We'll see what kind of results I get back on tonight's homework, where I told them that they could use part-part-whole if they wanted to, but that they didn't have to.

So for this week's INTERACTIVE MONDAY, I'm asking: What is a lesson you've done recently that has worked really well? And if you can't think of one, then tell us one you've done recently that just backfired horrifically!

3 comments:

Almost American said...

Not a lesson per se, but I got Donors Choose to fund a subscription to National Geographic Explorer for my kids for this year. They are SO excited when each magazine arrives, and they LOVE reading them. They can't wait to take them home and show them to their families. One kid even made his mom go to my website over winter vacation so she could follow the link to the online version of the magazine and read the article we were reading in class because I hadn't let them take the Nov/Dec magazines home yet! My principal has now offered to buy my subscription for next year :-)

Melissa B. said...

Probs not appropriate for 3rd-graders, but my English class recently worked through an outstanding Socratic Seminar on capital punishment. The discussion went hand-in-hand with the book they were reading: In Cold Blood, by Truman Capote. If you haven't read it, you should!

Mister Teacher said...

AA, that's pretty cool! Do they EACH get a new magazine each time?

Ms. Scribe, I haven't read it. Heard of it, sure, but never read it. I did see Truman Capote in the movie "Murder by Death." Does that count? :)