My wife sells jewelry! Treat yourself to some bling!Treat yourself to some bling!
I am an Amazon.com Affiliate, and I warmly invite you to shop using my store!

Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
Join HBO Free Trial

Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas party gems

Friday was our last day of school before the Christmas Break, and there were SEVERAL stand-out moments from the day to last in memory for some time to come. I thought I'd take a minute and list some of them...

- I wrote the daily word problem on the board to include the name of 3 of Santa's reindeer -- Blitzen, Comet, and Dasher. The kids had no earthly idea who these were, and to my amazement, there was only one kid in each class who had even heard of RUDOLPH!!

- A little girl gave me a candy bar, something called a Bubu Jubu or Lubee Boobee or something. It was a chocolate covered, marshmallow and jelly candy. Pretty tasty. When we left the room to walk to PE, I told the little girl that it was tasty and thanked her. The little girl in front of her heard me and said, "I gave that candy to her this morning." RE-GIFTER!!

- Before our party started, I asked the kids to write one thing they had learned about Force (our science focus for the past few weeks) on a notecard. One boy wrote, "I lern Force is so good to hos." Somehow managing not to bust out laughing, I asked him to read his sentence to me, and he said, "I learned Force is good to us." Someone really needs to focus on their spelling.

- The holiday party time was very clearly set at 1:00 - 2:45, according to mandate by our principal. Why then, was there a fire drill at 1:30???

- During our party time, my room was where the games were being played. One group was playing a money-related game that apparently was missing some coins. A student came up and told me, "We don't have any sense!" (cents)

- Another boy asked if he could have an empty bottle to play truth or dare. When I asked (for my own curiosity) how one played such a game, he basically explained the game of Spin the Bottle (minus the kissing) to me. Needless to say, I did NOT provide a bottle.

- At 3:05, right as I started calling kids to line up at the door, a child handed me about 20 envelopes with kids' names on them. He told me that another child had brought them and wanted to pass them out. Way to not wait till the last minute. And no, I didn't even get an envelope myself...

Enjoy your time off, and Merry Christmas, everyone!!

5 comments:

Vanessa said...

Hey! I started reading "Learn Me Good" about a week ago, and I LOVE IT!!! I am a teacher from Mexico, but I worked in GA for two years and had very similar experiences to the ones you describe, with immigrant kids dealing with a second language and just with kids in general. BTW the candy you were given is called "Bubu Lubu"...try it frozen! Enjoy and Merry Christmas! Vanessa

Mister Teacher said...

Bubu lubu! That's it! Thanks, Vanessa! It was pretty tasty, even regifted! :)
Glad you're enjoying Learn Me Good! Be sure to check out Learn Me Gooder when you're done. :)

Merry Christmas!

Miss Angel said...

LOL! Sounds like a rolicking party! The chocolate and jelly candy sounds kinda gross though. :D

Rocia said...

Great stuff here. 1st time poster, but long time reader --- keep up the good work!

Mister Teacher said...

Angel, it was actually quite tasty! :)

Rocia, thanks for stepping out of the shadows to comment! Happy New Year!